Overview. 8 Simple Rules, as it was better known was a sitcom that aired for three season on ABC.
The show originally consisted of a concerned father, dealing with his teenage daughters and dating, so he came up with a set of rules, which any boy that intended something with them should blindly obey. It was based on a book by W. Bruce Cameron, with the same name. The rules themselves were as follow:
- Use your hands on my daughter and you'll lose them after.
- You make her cry, I make you cry.
- Safe sex is a myth. Anything you try will be hazardous to your health.
- Bring her home late, there's no next date.
- If you pull into my driveway and honk, you better be dropping off a package because you're sure not picking anything up.
- No complaining while you're waiting for her. If you're bored, change my oil.
- If your pants hang off your hips, I'll gladly secure them with my staple gun.
- Dates must be in crowded public places. You want romance? Read a book.
After John Ritter, that played the main role died, the show was forced to change drastically, so they introduced two new characters, the jovial CJ and the veteran Jim.
||Paul Hennessy||The father of the Hennessy family and main protagonist of the show, until John Ritter who played him died, so he was forced to be written out of the show and kill the character also.|
||Cate Hennessy||Mother of the Hennessy family, after John Ritter's death, she came as the main protagonist and supporter to the family, working harder and struggling for money.|
||Bridget Hennessy||The oldest of the Hennessy children, and often the one that represents most trouble, rebel at nature, not always noticing that her family only has the best of intentions with her. |
||Kerry Hennessy||The middle child, more inclined to the intellectual side than her sister, but still founds herself adoring her and even copying her, sometimes without even noticing it. |
||Rory Hennessy||The only male child of the Hennessy's. He was always treated better than her sisters by his father, since he was his only son, but after he died, Rory became much more mature.|
||C.J. Barnes||C.J. was Paul and Cate's nephew. A man who supposedly was destined to great things but was always slow down by his immaturity. He lived in the basement and was a professor at the kids school.|
||Jim Egan||He was Cate's father. He moved into their basement and became the most prominent father figure to the kids after Paul's death. |