Remakes are notoriously hard to do. More often than not, they fail. This one had an awesome trailer that was set to music like so many others and actually did something with it. A giant scorpion-monster hacked at our heroes in perfect sync with the music's bassline. That was good. Well... then came the movie. And it lacked two things: Clashing and Titans.
- The film's look in general is well-done. If the movie was as good as the visuals, then we'd have something trule epic on our hands. Costumes, monsters, props, special effects... it all looks good.
- The acting is actually pretty solid. It's nothing outstanding and given the story and the rest of the movie, that doesn't count for much, I'm afraid. But whenever the actors have fun with a role, it shows.
- For some explicable reason, I don't feel like I wasted my time watching this. It had its moments and in some parts it had its trash-charme.
- With so little good things, there are many things wrong with it.
- For one thing, it lacked clashing and titans. I don't think the Titans were even mentioned and their actual clashing might as well be chalked up to be cameo-appearances. But then again, naming a movie just "of the" would have - while fitting - been kind of stupid.
- It suffers fromt he typical remake-problems. The original has become something viewers have cared about for many years. While it's not the best movie ever made, it's still got sentimental value to a lot of people. This, however, doesn't. And because viewers - myself included - expected quite a lot of the movie, that it would live up to its original, do all the things right it did right and be better at it (this includes the nostalgia), it was set to disappoint.
- Granted, it didn't help that the pacing of the film was absolutely awful. Half an hour of incessant babbling about stuff we'd have loved to see but never would is followed by ten minutes of fighting. Repeat. Again, "of the" would have been a better title.
- Also, there wasn't a lot of stuff happening. In the end, it felt a lot like a "people go from place A to place B and then arrive there"-movie, because about halfway through, viewers simply stopped caring.
The Verdict: It's a bad movie. But let's assume that you want to watch this film. I'd suggest seeing it on some lazy afternoon or some evening where you've had a couple brews or have a couple friends over and you think that you should watch "I dunno... some movie, I guess."