It all comes down to this, the Oscars. None of those other award shows matter if you win, or lost out on, an Oscar trophy. On this Sunday, Feb. 24th, on ABC stations at 7pm EST, 4pm PST, they will start giving out trophies to the year's best in film and the tradition of chatting with your fellows user on Screened will continue. Tune into the Oscars either on TV or what I assume to be a completely legal stream (Note: We cannot stream the OScars in our chat, so find yourself a way to watch them!) and then join us at www.screened.com/chat as we make fun of, celebrate, and lament the nights winners and losers. And just like with the Golden Globes just about two months ago we will be having a prediction contest!
Just like with the Globes all predictions must be commented on this news post and the winner will receive a prize and a Screened sticker! Just predict for the categories listed below, all submissions must be received and can be edited, up until the show starts. I'll tally the predictions up using my own random system that I make up on the spot and choose a winner. So take a look over the nominees, watch any last films now, and make your predictions. See you in the chat on Sunday!
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Django Unchained
- Les Miserables
- Life of Pi
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Zero Dark Thirty
Actor in a Leading Role:
- Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
- Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
- Hugh Jackman - Les Miserable
- Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
- Denzel Washington - Flight
Actress in a Leading Role:
- Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
- Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
- Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
- Quvenzhane Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Naomi Watts - The Impossible
- Alan Arkin - Argo
- Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
- Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
- Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained
- Amy Adams - The Master
- Sally Field - Lincoln
- Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
- Helen Hunt - The Sessions
- Jacki Weaver - Silver Linings Playbook
- Michael Haneke - Amour
- Benh Zeitlin - Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Ang Lee - Life of Pi
- Steven Spielberg - Lincoln
- David O. Russell - Silver Linings Playbook
Best Animated Feature Film:
- "Brave" Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
- "Frankenweenie" Tim Burton
- "ParaNorman" Sam Fell and Chris Butler
- "The Pirates! Band of Misfits" Peter Lord
- "Wreck-It Ralph" Rich Moore
- "Anna Karenina" Seamus McGarvey
- "Django Unchained" Robert Richardson
- "Life of Pi" Claudio Miranda
- "Lincoln" Janusz Kaminski
- "Skyfall" Roger Deakins
- "Anna Karenina" Jacqueline Durran
- "Les Misérables" Paco Delgado
- "Lincoln" Joanna Johnston
- "Mirror Mirror" Eiko Ishioka
- "Snow White and the Huntsman" Colleen Atwood
- "5 Broken Cameras"
Emad Burnat and Guy Davidi
- "The Gatekeepers"
Dror Moreh, Philippa Kowarsky and Estelle Fialon
- "How to Survive a Plague"
David France and Howard Gertler
- "The Invisible War"
Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering
- "Searching for Sugar Man"
Malik Bendjelloul and Simon Chinn
Sean Fine and Andrea Nix Fine
- "Kings Point"
Sari Gilman and Jedd Wider
- "Mondays at Racine"
Cynthia Wade and Robin Honan
- "Open Heart"
Kief Davidson and Cori Shepherd Stern
Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill
- "Argo" William Goldenberg
- "Life of Pi" Tim Squyres
- "Lincoln" Michael Kahn
- "Silver Linings Playbook" Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers
- "Zero Dark Thirty" Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg
Foreign Language Film:
- "Amour" Austria
- "Kon-Tiki" Norway
- "No" Chile
- "A Royal Affair" Denmark
- "War Witch" Canada
Music (Original Score):
- "Anna Karenina" Dario Marianelli
- "Argo" Alexandre Desplat
- "Life of Pi" Mychael Danna
- "Lincoln" John Williams
- "Skyfall" Thomas Newman
Music (Original Song):
- "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice"
Music and Lyric by J. Ralph
- "Everybody Needs A Best Friend" from "Ted"
Music by Walter Murphy; Lyric by Seth MacFarlane
- "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi"
Music by Mychael Danna; Lyric by Bombay Jayashri
- "Skyfall" from "Skyfall"
Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
- "Suddenly" from "Les Misérables"
Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil
- "Anna Karenina"
Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
- "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
Production Design: Dan Hennah; Set Decoration: Ra Vincent and Simon Bright
- "Les Misérables"
Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson
- "Life of Pi"
Production Design: David Gropman; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson
Short Film (Animated):
- "Adam and Dog" Minkyu Lee
- "Fresh Guacamole" PES
- "Head over Heels" Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly
- "Maggie Simpson in "The Longest Daycare"" David Silverman
- "Paperman" John Kahrs
Short Film (Live):
- "Asad" Bryan Buckley and Mino Jarjoura
- "Buzkashi Boys" Sam French and Ariel Nasr
- "Curfew" Shawn Christensen
- "Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)" Tom Van Avermaet and Ellen De Waele
- "Henry" Yan England
Writing (Original Screenplay):
- "Amour" Written by Michael Haneke
- "Django Unchained" Written by Quentin Tarantino
- "Flight" Written by John Gatins
- "Moonrise Kingdom" Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
- "Zero Dark Thirty" Written by Mark Boal
Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
- "Argo" Screenplay by Chris Terrio
- "Beasts of the Southern Wild" Screenplay by Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
- "Life of Pi" Screenplay by David Magee
- "Lincoln" Screenplay by Tony Kushner
- "Silver Linings Playbook" Screenplay by David O. Russell
- "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White
- "Life of Pi"
Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
- "Marvel's The Avengers"
Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick
Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill
- "Snow White and the Huntsman"
Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson